Thursday, February 14, 2008

I Had A Dream

I am here today to tell you who I am, truly, honestly, and openly. To let you see past all that I am on the outside, and to let you have a glimpse of my heart.

Like most people, I remember being asked about what I wanted to be when I grew up, and I remember all the different things that I dreamed about doing or being. I remember wanting to be an astronaut, dreaming about being wealthy, and desiring to be famous. I also remember those dreams changed and matured as I went through different seasons in my life.

I realized recently that I have never clarified my dreams to myself, and that my dreams are so numerous that it would be hard to name them all. I want to be a Pastor, to be a Real Estate Investor, a Photographer, a world traveler, a missionary, and so much more.
When I thought about it, I came to the conclusion that all of these things are just passions, just things that I love, and I realized that the truest and deepest desire of my heart is love.

Tim McGraw, a renowned Country music singer and song writer, write this verse:
“I’m sittin’ here with my kids and my wife, and everything I hold dear in my life,
        We say grace, and thank the Lord, got so much to be thankful for.
        Then it’s up the stairs and off to bed, and my little girl says,
        I haven’t had my story yet,
Everything weighn’ on my heart disappears, just like that,
When she lifts her head off her pillow and says,
‘I love you dad’
I don’t know why they say grown men don’t cry.”

I want to be the kind of man whose children love him, whose wife cherishes him, and who is not afraid to cry.

I want to be the kind of leader who has followers, the kind of teacher who has students, the kind of artist whose work is admired, because of love.

I want to be the kind of man who loves God with all his heart all his soul and all of his mind.
The deepest desire of my heart and my real dream look like this: on that final day when I meet Jesus the first words I want to hear are, “Well done, my good and faithful servant!!”

No comments: