Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Tomorrow

It’s a bizarre winter day for the Midwest; the bleak cold broke for most of the afternoon, giving way to a very summer like sixty degree breeze. The warm sunshine outside calls out in its silent voice playfully asking me to come enjoy the sultry rays of a day soon to be lost in the darkness of winter once more. Sadly I must ignore the tacit invitation for I am not free of my windowed cell until six o’clock that evening, the bitter cold will have returned by then. So, I allow my mind to wander to many far distant places where sunshine and warmth never have an end. Where cold unfeeling winds have no place to call home. A day comes, traveling slower that I would like, whose arrival ushers in a new direction for my life. A path that will leave the lingering solitude of a life lived in singleness and overrun by hours worked in pursuit of a paycheck behind. I look forward with anticipation to that fork in the road, but I must keep a grateful heart now. I cannot live my life constantly waiting for tomorrow.

No comments: